About Westwind


Westwind History

For over forty years Westwind Air Bearings has been universally recognised as a world leader in the design and manufacture of air bearing spindle systems:

2010
Westwind celebrated over 50 years of design and manufacture of air bearing spindles.
2005
GSI Lumonics changed its name to GSI Group Ltd.
2003
GSI Lumonics Inc completed the acquisition of Westwind and its subsidiaries from Cobham PLC. 
1995
Westwind was acquired by Cobham PLC, an aerospace company based in Wimborne, UK.
1993
After a company restructuring placing greater emphasis on customer service and market development, Westwind management reformed the company as Westwind Air Bearings Ltd. 
1990's
Introduced aerodynamic scanners
1980's
Introduced air bearing paint spraying spindles
1970's
Introduced air bearing PCB drilling spindles and semiconductor dicing/grinding spindles
1968
Westwind became part of the U.S. Federal-Mogul Corp.
1963
Realising the wider potential for air bearing technology, the firm
sold its dental drill business and became Westwind Air Bearings
Ltd., the first manufacturer to offer a range of commercial air bearing spindles
Late
1950's

Established to develop an air turbine for dental drills, the
company originally consisted of two divisions – Micro turbines
and Westwind Developments Ltd.